Program Type:Nature & Environment
Join us on a bird watch and nature walk at Smith Point Beach with Byron Young. We'll learn about and watch for water fowl and oceanic birds of coastal Long Island. We will walk along the boardwalk, though the scrub path and across the parking lot to the bay side and back. Weather permitting.
Details to know before you go:
- Smith Point County Park is located at 1 William Floyd Parkway, Shirley, NY 11967. (You must provide your own transportation.)
- Please park in the west end of the main parking lot at Smith Point County Park. Meet at the Ranger Station/Fire Island Wilderness Center across from the parking lot at 9:30 am.
- Be prepared to walk 1.5 to 2 miles along the boardwalk, beach, and soft sand.
- Please be advised that there are NO bathroom facilities available at this park during winter and spring.
- Be prepared for the weather and ticks! Dress warmly in layers, wear long pants, hat, gloves, etc. For tips on taking precaution against ticks click here
- Bring your own drinking water, cameras, binoculars and whatever else you might need or want.