Albert and Edward Bayles, two brothers from Middle Island, enlisted in the Union Army in 1862, signing on to Company A of the 139th New York Volunteers. From August 1862 until their deaths in June 1864, they wrote over 50 letters home, which are now in the Thomas R. Bayles Local History Room. These letters detail the brothers' lives as soldiers in the Civil War and their impressions of the Longwood community in the mid-1800s.
The Mailbox is an online resource with more than 50,000 learning objects, lesson plans, and ideas for parents and elementary school teachers.
The Thomas R. Bayles collection includes paintings of historic landmarks in Coram, Ridge, Yaphank and various other sites on Long Island, using watercolors. These were painted by Peter Haase and donated by Donald M. Bayles. Also included in the collection are engravings of military officers and government officials from the 19th century and photos from a prisoner of war camp in WW2.